Using Bands With Metal Militia Training - Sebastian Burns

Specifikke programmer til maksimal styrke eller masse...

by charlie t » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Using Bands With Metal Militia Training
By Sebastian Burns

Seems like everyone wants a faster way to get stronger and bands just add to the temptation. In this article I will explain how we use bands in our routine .When we first start our 10 to 20 week training cycle we are concerned with getting back into training after our long layoff (layoff could be between 4 to 6 months) we pretty much start from scratch with not much strength and no training endurance. During this time we are just trying to get everything stronger and weak areas are not as clear. So we will run 4 week cycles of bands in the early part of our cycle.

There is 2 ways we have used the bands in our training and I will list them both .I will start with the most recent cycle we just did .There is nothing really set in stone and some of our lifters use bands on Raw day and some use them on Shirt day. I will list all possible ways we combine them.

To set up the bands for this exercise take 2 bands and tie them together then put them under the bench and up to each end of the bar. This way the knot of the bands is inline with your midback and the band runs inline with your shoulders.

Week 1

Band Press 1 Set Big Blue Band

Work up to a 3 rm over 5 to 6 sets

4 Boards

Work up to 1 to 3 RM

3Boards

Work up to 1 to 3 RM

Decline

5 sets 5 Reps up to 5 RM

Week 2

Band Press 2 Sets Big Blue Band

Work up to a 3 rm over 5 to 6 sets

4 Boards

Work up to 1 to 3 RM

3Boards

Work up to 1 to 3 RM

Decline

5 sets 5 Reps up to 5 RM

Week 3

3 to 5 sets of bands etc…. We will start adding more bands per week.

2 more sets of blue next week etc…when you start running single minis on top of all these big blues the tension gets crazy.

We just keep adding more bands each week until we have 8 to 10 bands or so much tension that 135 + Band weight is impossible or until no one can get 1 anymore.

I will advise anyone looking to go into this super band tension zone that you start slow and light and let your body adapt to this type of stress. Things can get crazy when you have a large amount of tension so be careful and have good spots.

Another way we have used bands in the past was to use them during our close grips on shirt day. We would use one set of the blue bands wrapped around a dumbbell held in place by some 25lb weights on each side of them. This is a different feel than having the bands go under the bench and I liked these as well. So the workout would look like this .

Close Grips with Bands

Work up to a 3 RM

Shirt

As many sets as it takes

6 Boards or 5 Board

Work up to a PR or 3 RM

Rack Lockout

Work up to PR

Each week adding weight to the bar instead of bands is very different than adding bands every week and has great merit also.

Another exercise we do with bands is unique not in exercise but in the way we set it up. When we first started training we would do hanging band presses but we found them to unrealistic when the bands help all the way thru the movement. So after some thought I decided to run a short ladder across the pins in the power rack and hang the bands doubled over from the rungs of the ladder .So there is lots of band help for the first few inches of the movement and then they totally let go and the bar rises about 4 to 6 inches off the bands completely depending on arm length. We work these up to a PR for a few weeks and then lay off them for a week or so then come back to them for a Pr . This movement seems to be more realistic when compared to the way a bench shirt helps with the lift. We often use this exercise on raw bench day for extra work at the top without overtaxing the bottom of the lift and the vulnerable pec muscles. To much low end raw work can cause damage to tendons and will take energy and time from upper end work that will pay off in a bench shirt. By doing these on raw day we cut down on the damage to the muscle and still get great work at the top.

One thing we do different is we drop most if not all of the band work as the contest get closer in favor of developing technique and working on specific weakness for each lifter. Also heavy Boards and rack work become more of a factor as the meet draws near. One thing that should be noted is that Band tension and weight are two very different things and if you just use bands and never use real weight you will never get a realistic feel for the proper groove in a bench shirt. Bands are a training aid and should be used as such. I have seen some lifters ruin their forum by using only band tension and I have heard of many lifters doing very well with loads of tension so experiment and see what works well for you and your training partners. There are many other people out there using bands in many different ways, Westside, Gene ,Mike Miller and a few others that have some really cool things going on with them so be sure to check them out for more Ideas.

Be Sure to check out WWW.UNDERGROUNDSTRENGTH.COM and WWW.METALMILITIA.NET for more articles and training DVDs. If anyone has any questions regarding this article please feel free to E mail me at Metalmilitiabench@yahoo.com Band workouts can also be seen on The Underground Strength DVDs.
charlie t

Return to Trænings-programmer